SCHUMACHER WINS TIME TRIAL, SKUJINS RETAINS YELLOW
Text by Réal Labbé
ST-JEAN-DE-LA-LANDE – Latvian cyclist Tom Skujins (Hincapie Sportswear) remains in the yellow jersey as leader of the general classification after the third step, an individual time trial race at the Tour de Beauce. He finished 16 seconds behind the stage winner, German Stefan Schumacher (Christina Watches-KUMA) who negotiated the 20 km course in 25m44s.
Romanian Serghei Tvetcov (Jelly Belly) finished second with a time of 25m54s, a second better than the Canadian Ryan Roth (Silber Pro Cycling).
Among Quebecers, the best performance belongs to Rémi Pelletier-Roy (Garneau-Quebecor) in eighth place with a time of 26m14s, or 30 seconds behind the winner.
“We had to use large gears today, said Schumacher. I was identified as one of the favorites this morning, but I wondered if I had the legs to achieve good performance after the difficult stage of Mont Mégantic. I guess it was the same for everyone. During the first few miles I had the wind in the face and then back it was side winds. I looked at my time and with five kilometers left to go I had already registered 20 minutes. Then the descent came and I took advantage of a tailwind and that is where I reached a speed of 65km/h , allowing me to post the best time.”
Canadian Ryan Roth and his athletic director Gord Fraser relished his third place. “It's very good for us, said Gord Fraser, more than you think. We had a hard day yesterday and this podium will be good for team morale. Our mechanic Dominic Cantin has done a great job on Ryan’s time trial bike because it had not been used for a year. It was his bike from Team SpiderTech.”
Roth has been with the team led by Gord Fraser for just over a week now. “He has earned his place with us, added the athletic director. Ryan is a passionate and he agreed to join an amateur team, Jetfuel, to be able to have competition.”
Ryan Roth has not been lucky in the past two years as the team he rode with were forced to close the books. “I am very happy to join Silber Pro Cycling. I wanted to take part in high caliber competitions like the Tour de Beauce, and the Jetfuel team could not provide that, even though it was very good with me. It was not an easy decision to make. I come with good form and the staff is very knowledgeable. Dominic has done a great job with my bike. I was not afraid to use it because I had good results with it before, and today I felt very comfortable. The wind was very strong and sometimes I had to leave my aerodynamic position to counter the effects of wind. I take great satisfaction from my third place and now we will try to do a good show tomorrow in Quebec.”
Best of Quebecers in the time trials, Rémi Pelletier-Roy was very happy with his time. “I'm doing well in a time trial race, but in a competition like the Tour de Beauce, it is different. With temperature, rain and wind, and after the stage of Mount Mégantic, there are riders who do not always have the motivation to go hard, especially if they are far in the overall. I did not know what to expect but I thought that might as well go 100%, and I managed well my race.”
Saturday the caravan will travel to Quebec for the fourth stage, and the fight will be active to take the possession of the yellow jersey.
RESULTS – STAGE 3 (ITT) – TOUR DE BEAUCE 2014
1. SCHUMACHER, Stefan (CHRISTINA WATCHES - KUMA) 25:44
2. TVETCOV, Serghei (JELLY BELLY P/B MAXXIS) +0:10
3. ROTH, Ryan (SILBER PRO CYCLING TEAM) +0:11
4. ROSSKOPF, Joseph (HINCAPIE SPORTSWEAR DEVELOPMENT CYCLING TEAM) +0:11
5. TERUEL, Eloy (JAMIS HAGENS BERMAN) +0:14
6. KRAGH, Asbjorn (CHRISTINA WATCHES – KUMA) +0:18
7. SMITH, Dion (HINCAPIE SPORTSWEAR DEVELOPMENT CYCLING TEAM) +0:25
8. PELLETIER-ROY, Rémi (GARNEAU-QUEBECOR) +0:30
9. ROE, Timothy (BUDGET FORKLIFTS CYCLING) +0:39
10. CARLSEN, Kirk (JELLY BELLY P/B MAXXIS) +0:40
GENERAL CLASSIFICATION – AFTER STAGE 3 – TOUR DE BEAUCE 2014
1. SKUJINS, Tom (HINCAPIE SPORTSWEAR DEVELOPMENT CYCLING) 10:01:44
2. TVETCOV, Serghei (JELLY BELLY P/B MAXXIS) +1:17
3. KRAGH, Asbjorn (CHRISTINA WATCHES – KUMA) +1:30
4. BRITTON, Rob (SMARTSTOP) +1:43
5. SCHUMACHER, Stefan (CHRISTINA WATCHES – KUMA) +1:47
6. SMITH, Dion (HINCAPIE SPORTSWEAR DEVELOPMENT CYCLING) +1:52
7. ROE, Timothy (BUDGET FORKLIFTS CYCLING) +1:53
8. CARLSEN, Kirk (JELLY BELLY P/B MAXXIS) +2:02
9. JONES, Carter (OPTUM P/B KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES) +2:14
10. BENEDETTI, Luca (AMORE VITA-SELLE SMP) +2:20